Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Super Frog ½ Ironman Triathlon is an especially challenging race because it is an ocean swim and a sand run all on the beautiful shores of Coronado Island in San Diego California. Although I have done my share of “endurance” events I had not yet done a ½ Ironman distance triathlon; not for the lack of wanting but more due to time and timing. I haven’t made the time to train and I have been focused on accomplishing my original goal of qualifying for Team USA at the Olympic distance. This winter afforded me a healthy body and a ticket to Australia for Team USA in September 09 so my path is now clear…let’s take a shot at the longer distance tris and see how I do. SuperFrog was the first step on this path.
I have to admit that this is one of the few times I went into a race with the mindset that it really was a “training day!” There was no doubt in my mind that the ocean swim and the deep sand coupled with my innate fear of sharks and my moody calf that this would be a relaxing “training day”.
Before I disclose “my” race let me share the race details. You can’t beat San Diego for any race. Regardless of the event, Coronado Island in San Diego is the perfect setting. It is sunny, warm, breezy and relaxing; perfect race weather. Packet pickup was in a local hotel out on the island; it was well o
rganized, the people were very friendly and there was no mystery to the process. The expo itself was pretty small with just a couple vendors but that comes from someone who loves the Boston Marathon Expo experience so I shouldn’t really be the judge. The weird thing about packet pick up was the huge number of men compared to women. No, I am not complaining, but I did start to worry as the ratio of men to women was really skewed. I wondered what all the local tri club women knew that I didn’t know. Seriously, there were very few women and the ones that I did see were clearly bad asses. Gulp…this is just a training day, this is just a training day…
Race morning transition was well marked, well lit and full of energy. There were dozens of volunteers all over the course, the water and gel volunteers all said Yes mame and Yes Sir and they had plenty of everthing on the course. After the race they ran out of veggie chili before I got there but there was plenty of post race food. The finish was well organized and there was tons of water everywhere. I was really impressed with the entire event.
John and I had the luxury of staying with his sister Margy and her family in Santee Ca. We were abo
ut 30 minutes from the race start. Plus Andrea Watkins was at the race and stayed with us. Andrea is always so calm, helpful and easy to get along with so it was awesome to have a friend around who knows “the pre-race ropes”! We enjoyed staying with Margy as she opened her home and heart to us…I am still overwhelmed by her generosity. Plus Margy’s husband, Steve and daughter Sarah gave up their beds and weekend to help us out.
Pre-race dinner was really “Beth Style”. We had monster tuna sandwiches with pretzels and water. Not very exciting but very filing the night before a race and the perfect combo of carbs and protein.
Race morning came early
and cloudy. Initially I was really disappointed that the sun was fogged in and the wind was cool. I actually slept the best I think I have ever slept the night before a race. I think I had really adapted to the “training day” idea. It felt great to wake up well rested and ready to go. My tummy was a bit moody but cleared itself shortly after Andrea’s awesome scrambled eggs! We headed down to the race site at 4:45 Am in order to get good transition positions. Yes, even though it is a training day I am physically and emotionally incapable of relinquishing a potentially perfect transition position. We got there well before most people and even though it was pitch dark you could hear the ocean slamming into the beach. My anxiety began to rise. I relaxed a bit when John and I went for a warm up run and met Jason Finch. He was at the race to do the run leg of a fast relay. It is always fun to run into friends at races!
The swim was a 2 loop rectangle out in the ocean. Two buoys about 200 yards apart so we had to get past the breakers, get around the 2 buoys, body surf in and then do it again. Oh my. All the women were in the 2nd wave behind the elites and then the rest of the crowd was behind us. It was really hard for me to get into and out of the water. I think I only swam about 600 yards! The rest of the time I was getting kicked around by the waves. The hardest part was coming in. I got rolled around like I was in a washing machine. Not fun but pretty funny! I came out of the water rattled but ready to ride! Since they put all the women out together I honestly thought GoGo, my Giant bike, would be all alone just waiting for me. I was shocked to see other bikes on the rack. Apparently I wasn’t the last woman out of the water! Yahoo! I approached the ride with the idea that I would be steady and strong but no red-lining. I achieved my goal.
The ride was 4 loops (56 miles) on the island and there was a head wind from every direction. Good thing we train for that in Colorado! I stayed steady and focused on the ride and felt very relaxed when I hit the run. There was a bit of a smack down with another woman who believed that I was drafting. She got so frustrated that I was just steady behind her that she hammered away from me at about mile 10. Big mistake. Coming into the last 5 miles there she was and she was dragging. I let her roll into transition ahead of me because my feet were numb and I was worried that I was going to be a bumbling idiot when I got off my bike. I was cold the entire ride but I was grateful that the sun stayed behind the clouds because it would have been a much tougher race had it gotten hot. As we started out on the sand for the run Andrea was there and she yelled “that girl is in your age group…go get her.” OK, I know it was a training day but I need to train my head too. I need to train my head to compete and not to back down…so I decided I would see if I could catch her and then keep up with her. I caught up slowly and by mile 2 she was 50 yards in front of me. At that point I knew I could not only stay with her but I could take her. The only question was would she chase me and would I then have to “race” the next 10 miles. Ugh! All this was going through my head as I eased past her. Never looked up, never slowed down and never saw her again. It was a very cool and rare experience for me.
The run was just silly. 13.1 miles with 7 on sandy beach, 1 on sandy single track and then some trail and old asphalt. It made me laugh because it would be a hard ½ marathon without the swim and the bike! I stayed relaxed, focused on my form and enjoyed the sound of the waves as they crashed onto the beach. The run was 2 loops and I was concerned that I would be really tired by the 2nd loop. My feet were really sore and the camber of the beach was starting to wear on my knee…but I have this weird knack for digging deeper the longer the race. When I turned the cone for the 2nd loop I knew I had more to give. I knew I could keep up my pace and finish strong. There were no negative thoughts or worries…just concentration and desire to be done! And my nutrition was sound. Mainly gels and special drinks but I never felt depleted or tired. Very cool!
Steve wanted me to stay focused during the whole race and I can say for the first time I did. OK, I did try to encourage a couple of the young Navy Seals as I ran past them close to the end. I felt badly because they were being lapped by a girl 20 years older…Booya!
It was fun to be on the same course and see John on his new TT bike! It looks hot and he rode great! Margy and Steve stayed at the race the entire time and John and I were both so grateful to have fans at the finish! Andrea was working with the NormaTec crew so John and I both jumped into “legs” to let the healing begin! My feet were killing me.
The surprising outcome of this training day is that I won my age group and more importantly I was the 4th woman overall. For my first ½ ironman I was able to finish in 5:16 and have a really strong race. My swim time was much faster (not fast) than I imagined 35 minutes; my bike was exactly what I wanted 2:56 and I was shock
ed at my run, 1:51, but I felt great and just kept picking up my feet. I was really pleased with my splits and the fact that I was able to hold my paces. What an awesome feeling. This bodes well for my efforts to move into longer distances, right coach?
I loved this race because it was small and relaxed and very challenging. I think it would be great for a group in 2010. Everything is a loop so we would see all our friends throughout the race and plus it is in southern California in March! That has to be good!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an amazing entry. I loved reading this. You go Girl! I love ya and am so damn proud of you!

Love,
Nicole

24 Hours to go...

24 Hours to go...

Steamboat Triathlon

Steamboat Triathlon
The Best Fans Ever!

2008 Adventures Start in Moab

2008 Adventures Start in Moab
John and Beth at Delicate Arch