Friday, February 13, 2009

More winter fun!


John is probably the only person that can get me back on skis...and he did. We had our first ski date at Winter Park a couple weeks ago and it was a blast. I haven't really been on skis since my crash in Vail oh so many years ago and between the traffic, cost, cold and training I haven't really been compelled until now. John grew up skiing in Winter Park and loves it so we went up and tested my NY ski style. Of course my form is as bad as ever; weight back on the skis, poles akimbo and hips all over the place! Classic! I had so much fun even though I was terrible. The best part was watching John swoosh down the slopes. He is a beautiful skier. I should have known he would be! I didn't even get too cold until later in the day. That is HUGE for me! I have 3 more days left on my pass so we better get up there again soon!

Last weekend was my 2nd snow shoe race of the season. I have to admit it would be a lot easier if I could snow shoe out my back door once a week rather than just show up and snow shoe at elevation once a month but the weather in Denver has been beautiful. I have no snow outside my door. Anyway, Noell and James, although not racing, were sweet enough to drive to the race with me and hang out during the race. Noell is sporting an injury and wisely decided not to race and James was most interested in quality time with his wife. Sweet guy!

The race nearly killed me. I actually bonked before the first mile marker. Seriously, BONKED! Holy crap! I ate yummy oatmeal sometime between 7 and 7:30 and the race started at 11 and somehow I managed to get really hungry and thirsty about race time. Needless to say, my stellar finish (17 out of 32 women) was due mainly in part to the fact that the course was really difficult to navigate and I am not smart enough to stop when it really hurts. The snow was hard and rutted and really hard on my lower legs and knees. Honestly, I was a mess during the last 6 miles of a 6.2 mile race. I think it is good for me to have days like that once in a great while but I sure do hate them when I am in the midst of them. At one point my friend Sandy went by and asked if my leg was hurting again and I thought I would tell her yes as a likely excuse but instead I blurted out that between the travel, hunger, thirst and being so overheated I was just being lame! It was really funny. I have never overheated in a mountain race like that before. The weather was gorgeous but I didn't dress for it.

So, all in all, it was great to be in the mountains with Noell and her family. I love them and their mountain home and sleeping with Noell! :) I missed John and I hate that James kicked my butt in Scrabble 4 times! Ugh! I really did have lousy letters...ask Taylor! It was a great weekend and many opportunities for learning. Thank goodness I am not too old to keep learning!

The next snow shoe race I plan to light up! Yahoo!

1 comment:

Noell Blevins said...

Always blaming the letters! Bring it Becky!!

24 Hours to go...

24 Hours to go...

Steamboat Triathlon

Steamboat Triathlon
The Best Fans Ever!

2008 Adventures Start in Moab

2008 Adventures Start in Moab
John and Beth at Delicate Arch