Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Snow Shoe Season Begins

The 2009 Snow Shoe season started in Beaver Creek 10 days ago and it was a great way to soak in the mountains! I returned from Birmingham late Saturday night and I was pretty cranky (poor John!) so getting up early and driving to the mountains held no appeal. The key was riding with Priscilla, Barry and Noell. 90 minutes of hot tea, great laughs and free therapy! By the time we started the race I was relaxed and ready to go. I ‘d never “run” this course before so I was a little surprised when we ran uphill for 2 straight miles! Then we wandered along some single track and cat walks until it was time to turn around and scream downhill for 2 ½ miles!
Just before the race started I did a little warm up with Anne Walton as she had never been in running snow shoes before. Tyler wrapped her up with duct tape when we were done warming up as she had on running shoes and regular running socks. I was afraid her lil feet would freeze off!
I raced really well both physically and mentally. It was hard but I stayed in the race and I actually raced to beat a couple other women and that felt great!
As usual the highlight of the day was goofing off with the gang before and after and sitting in ridiculous traffic! The traffic was so bad that Noell actually had the time and guts to pee on I-70! Now there is a proud moment! I wish I had a picture of it!
Enjoy the pictures of the day!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I wanna go sooo badly!!! I have always wanted to snowshoe. I look at those things every years we go into REI. I think I am gonna get some this year. Gotta do it especially after my last run on a mtn trail! Hey, thanks for the encouragement this a.m. during swim!!!

Christy said...

p.s. Just looked inside the plates you returned. Some of it isn't mine. I'll return it at the next group function.

24 Hours to go...

24 Hours to go...

Steamboat Triathlon

Steamboat Triathlon
The Best Fans Ever!

2008 Adventures Start in Moab

2008 Adventures Start in Moab
John and Beth at Delicate Arch